About Me

My photo
I love life. I want to make people excited about theirs, and try and help people find the humor in everyday circumstances. We only live once, why not try to make each day great?

Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Holidays....

Hope that everyone had an extraordinary Christmas! I'm writing this while drinking a glass....or two... of "da vino"...
My Christmas was extremely good. Miss E. got her foam climbing blocks and has kept busy with them ever since- using them as slides and figuring out the best way to go down the fastest- usually sitting up going backwards. She's so amazing, and so much fun... I know that any day now she's just going to start talking in full sentences.
For Christmas I was the lucky recipient of CROSS CANADIAN RAGWEED and Pat Green tickets!!! As well as some "unmentionables" from my hubby... it was sweet- and I was flattered by the fact that he thought I'd look hot in "fire truck red" .... however due to my recent lifestyle change.. it's left me with a lack of undergarments that fit properly.... so while it was extremely flattering... it wasn't the most practical... but he scored MAJOR brownie points for trying!
I guess this Christmas for me- was more of a reality check... who are we kidding- everyone says they love the holidays... but I'm calling BULLSHIT on that one. Who REALLY enjoys the scramble to find those presents for everyone... not to mention the stress of getting cards out in enough time to cover your ass should someone send you a card that you didn't send one too. Also dealing with wrapping presents and unruly family... who you usually end up wanting to strangle. I don't think it's really the holidays we love- I have come to the conclusion that we love the idea of the holidays. Feeling warm and fuzzy watching those hokey Holiday specials... and feeling an increased sense of "friendliness" that is usually forgotten in the mall parking lots when that bastard in the Lexus decides to take the parking space that you've been sitting there with your blinker on, pining for the past twenty minutes... you really have to remind yourself that no level of satisfaction is worth a criminal record for harassment or violent behavior... although for a few fleeting seconds- you honestly feel it might break even.
No- I really don't relish the Holiday Fever... what I love about Christmas is actually Christmas itself... as well as the Christmas Eve service you go to- after of course you and your husband get into a fight because of his disdain for the fact that it really IS necessary that if you're showing legs- you DO shave even though it IS dark out...because you have to wear a dress last minute because you see him pulling out his suit coat and you know you can't show up in something simple if your husband is wearing a suit.
But back to the service... I love the sermon... the reminder of the birth of Christ... the candles and low lights minutes before you sing Silent Night... that is my favorite. Going to bed and knowing that when you wake up- that morning will be a part of your memory for the rest of your life. Everyone can have an appreciation for the notion that even though the world isn't perfect- on Christmas eve- there is the feeling that something so much bigger than anything you could ever imagine is taking place before you. That you have a role in the Nativity of Life... you have a fleeting glimpse of how much good is actually in the world.
I use the word glimpse- because one of my absolute favorite movies is "The Family Man". Jack gets a glimpse of what his life could've been like... and he sees all the good that is possible... I love that feeling. Waking up each morning and knowing that you have the chance every morning to life that day fully... it's really something we take advantage of. Being alive.
This Christmas as I watched my daughter placing her toys around the house- and reveling in her brilliance of playing with each of them in random order... I was reminded how thankful I am of being alive- and how blessed I am to wake up knowing how much I have to be thankful for.

1 comments:

K.Tuggle said...

You are to cute. Especially when you have been drinkin "da vino"!

Smooches